British Catholic missionary and his assistant abducted in Cameroon

An 83-year-old British missionary Huub Welters and his assistant have been abducted by an unknown group of armed men in Cameroon,

The British man and his assistant Henry Kang were captured on Tuesday, April 1, in Bambui, a town located in the country’s separatist conflict-hit anglophone northwest.

The pair were on their way to a project to build classrooms for underprivileged children in nearby Ilung, according to The Catholic Mill Hill Missionary.

In an update on Wednesday, the London-based Catholic missionary said Mr Welters had spent his first night in captivity but they had ‘no idea’ where he was.

They raised concerns about his ‘fragile health’, saying he has recently undergone a series of joint replacements and a back operation.

The missionary added that Mr Kang has a wife and children who are ‘waiting in agony’ and praying for his safe return.

African Conscience, an NGO contacted by AFP, said it believed the pair had been abducted by separatist fighters.

‘The authorities of the Archdiocese are currently working for their release,’ the NGO added. ‘We pray. We plead. We wait.’

The Catholic Mill Hill Missionary posted on their website: ‘[Mr Welters] He has given everything, his time, his energy, his very being, to serve the people he loves.

‘And yet, today, he finds himself tormented by the very ones he has spent a lifetime caring for.’

They continued: ‘At his age, he should be at home, resting, surrounded by the warmth of cherished memories from his decades of selfless service.

‘Instead, he chose to stay; because his heart simply wouldn’t allow him to walk away from those in need. And now, his kindness, his sacrifice, his love have been met with violence and suffering.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *